Sunday, December 18

What is Important

I am grateful for trials because they remind you to take a step back and think about what's important.  I'm especially grateful that this latest trial we are having has happened at this time.  You've probably heard that Evelyn broke her collar bone today.  It's heartbreaking to hear her cry because of the pain she has.

She is usually a great sleeper, but right now it's 11:00pm and Will and I have been taking turns trying to get her to sleep for the last hour.  (We got her to sleep at 7pm by driving around in the car looking at Christmas lights.  We left her in her car seat to help hold her body still but put her in her room for bed. However she moves around a lot in her sleep, and most likely woke up because she couldn't move as she was in her car seat.)

Anyway, why am I grateful that I am going through such a hard time?  I have realized that this is a hard thing to go through, but I still have the opportunity to raise Evelyn.  She was injured, but it is only temporary.  In a few weeks, this will all be a dream.  Aside from the broken bone, she is still healthy.  I still get to hold her in my arms and give her kisses.  While many people are dreaming of presents this time of year and getting sidetracked by the real meaning of Christmas, I am grateful for this trial as all day today I have been thinking of my Heavenly Father and what He must have gone through as His Only Begotten Son atoned for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane and as He later had to watch His perfect Son die on the cross.  This trial has helped remind me of my Savior and how grateful I am for His atonement.  I know he understands the things we are going through.  He atoned for us to satisfy the demands of justice, and to provide a way for us to be forgiven of our sins.  But, it was much more than that.  He also felt our pains and sorrows.  I have found strength as I have looked to him for comfort during this trial and all the other trials I have faced in my life. 
So, this Christmas, I'll probably end up getting Evelyn way more presents than we had even actually planned on to try and make up for her misery, but I will also try to forget about my vain desires and wants and remember how to be more like my Savior.
Here's a good video to help you remember. :)
http://lds.org/bible-videos/videos/shepherds-learn-of-the-birth-of-christ?lang=eng

No comments:

Swidget 1.0