Friday, January 21

Being in Love and Marriage

Will and I love C.S. Lewis for so many different reasons.  He has so many good things to say.  Here's one:


Being in love is a good thing, but it is not the best thing. There are many things below it, but there are also things above it. You cannot make it the basis of a whole life. It is a noble feeling, but it is still a feeling... Knowledge can last, principles can last, habits can last; but feelings come and go... But, of course, ceasing to be "in love" need not mean ceasing to love. Love in this second sense — love as distinct from "being in love" — is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity, maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by (in Christian marriage) the grace which both partners ask, and receive, from God... "Being in love" first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise. It is on this love that the engine of marriage is run: being in love was the explosion that started it. (Mere Christianity)


Isn't that beautiful?  I remember the feelings of love Will and I had when we were first dating.  It was magical.  However, after two and a half years of marriage, those feelings aren't as rampant as they were.  I still get giddy, but the twitterpation I felt 2 years ago is gone.  Now, we are learning to love.  It is even more magical.  :)  


I think one thing many people in this world are missing out on is learning to love.  So many people want the feelings that come with love.  Well, those strong emotional feelings come and go, so people move on.  They think, I must not be in love any more.  However, love is more than just feelings, it is like C.S. Lewis said, learning to keep promises and help each other.  As I have been learning to love my husband, I am learning so many other things.  I am learning to be patient and to be less selfish.  I am learning how to listen to others and how to communicate my own feelings.  I am learning much more, and we've just been married for 2 years!  I still have so much to learn!  It's great!  


Marriage is so important because we learn to love.  There is no greater thing to learn because like I mentioned, you learn so many other things!  That is why it is so important to strive to keep your marriage strong.  It can be hard, but something so magical and amazing should be hard!  Is our society turning into a bunch of wimps where they can't learn to love?  People don't want to get married and make the greatest promise they could ever make.  Others succumb to the hardships of keeping their promises.  I know that Will and I can and will commit to each other!  We will learn how to love and keep the promise of fidelity that we have made.  I love you Will!  


Enjoy this clip from Bambi about twitterpation.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUI-ivE6iGE



    3 comments:

    Sean and Anne Willardson said...

    Very sweet. :D

    Rebecca said...

    Amazingly well said! I totally agree with you!

    Rachel said...

    Beautiful post Sandy.
    It was so good to see you and actually get a chance to chat and see that adorable baby.
    Thanks for coming to Utah for those couple of days.

    Swidget 1.0